Preventive Dentistry Treatments at Perry Dental Health: Minimize the risk of potential dental issues before they occur.
Dr. Perry provides gentle preventive dentistry care for the entire family. In order to maintain a healthy smile, Dr. Perry recommends that his patients have professional teeth cleanings and regular dental check-ups at least every six months (that screen for gingivitis, gum disease, and oral cancer), as well as having dental x-rays taken once a year.
Perry Dental Health Preventive Dentistry Procedures
Preventive dentistry is an investment in your future oral health and should be an important part of your overall healthy lifestyle regimen.
1. Professional Teeth Cleanings
When you choose Dr. Perry in San Antonio for your professional dental cleanings, you will experience gentle dental care and the most modern, up-to-date preventive dentistry methods. During your dental cleaning appointment, the Dental Hygienist will:
• Remove plaque from the teeth — Plaque is a sticky substance that forms in the mouth from food, saliva and bacteria. Plaque sticks to teeth and causes tooth decay and gum disease.
• Remove calculus (tartar) above the gum line— Calculus is plaque that has hardened on the tooth surface and is difficult to remove. (Calculus below the gum line indicates gum disease and requires a different procedure to remove it.)
2. Dental Exams at Perry Dental Health
Regular dental exams are of the utmost importance in the preventive dentistry care we provide, as they help to diagnose oral and dental diseases. Your thorough dental examinations by Dr. Perry will include the following:
• Oral cancer screening
• Periodontal evaluation
• Examination of diagnostic x-rays
• Evaluation of status of existing restorations (fillings and others)
• Occlusal evaluation
Gum Disease Treatment
At Perry Dental Health, gum disease is treated by gently removing the bacteria that form below the gumline, which occurs on a microscopic level. The gum disease treatment process may require more than one visit to our San Antonio dental office. Once the bacteria has been removed, you will need to have periodontal maintenance on a regular basis to avoid a recurrence. Dr. Perry and your hygienist will determine the frequency of your visits. Most patients are seen every 3-4 months for their periodontal maintenance appointments.
Perry Dental Health utilizes radiographs, or dental x-rays, as a very important preventive dentistry measure in detecting tooth decay.
X-rays allow Dr. Perry to see the status of your oral health in a way that cannot be seen by the naked eye. These items include cysts (sacks of fluid that form on the roots of teeth), tumors, decay that occurs between teeth, and/or the location of teeth that haven’t grown all the way in. By using x-rays to diagnose dental health problems, we may avoid costly treatments that might not be detected if we didn’t find the problem. In some cases, x-rays can be responsible for saving your life!
Perry Dental Health uses digital radiography to get a clear picture of your overall dental health. Digital X-rays have many advantages when compared with old fashioned film-based machines, including:
• Reduced radiation exposure (up to 90% less than traditional film)
• Gum disease evaluation
• Enhanced ability to refine image quality
• Instant viewing (no waiting for films to develop)
• Environmentally friendly (no toxic chemicals)
Best of all, it’s easy for you to see what Dr. Perry sees. Your digital x-ray can be seen on a computer screen located next to your dental chair. This helps you to better understand your needs and make more informed decisions about any treatment procedures recommended by Dr. Perry.
Contact the Perry Dental Health office to learn more about our preventive dental care, or to schedule your dental cleaning and check-up. Call (210) 714-1374 today.